Monday, July 25, 2011

Brooklyn's Birth Story

 You don't have to read all about this if you don't want to, because it is more for myself than anything else. :) I don't think I could have asked for a better labor and delivery. I was really worried that things wouldn't go well since I had to be induced. On July 22nd I still hadn't gone into labor on my own so the doctor set up my induction for 4:00 am on Saturday July 23rd (which was my due date). They didn't want her to risk her getting any bigger and since she went clear up to my due date they figured we better be induced. I was only dilated to a 1 and a half cm when I went in although my cervix was softer than it had been the week previous. So this made me feel better about being induced now, instead of the week before like they had originally planned. We showed up at the hospital just after 4 in the morning they did all the paperwork and IV and all that good stuff and then they hooked me up to pitocin at 6:00am. Then we had a really great nurse come on call shortly after that. Her name was Merna. She told me that her shift was until 7:00 so we were going to try and get her here before that. She used all her "tricks" to help me have a quick delivery and they must have worked, because it didn't take long at all. Just before 10:00 I was dilated to 4 cm and they broke my water. An hour later I got an epidural which was a little crazy at first since my back is so sensitive I couldn't help but jump every time the anesthesiologist touched me. I had to try really hard to hold still. The first try didn't go well because the space was too tight or something. My left leg started getting all tingly and then started cramping up. So he pulled it out and he had to go in a second time. The second time worked well and the epidural was great! I could still feel my legs and everything but no pain accept for a little pressure. By 11:40 I was dilated to a 6 and the baby was a zero station. From then on I dilated so quickly I told the nurse a little while later that I was feeling a lot of pressure. Well she checked me it was around 12:24pm and I was dilated to 10cm so she told me to try and wait while she got the doctor and then we would push this baby out. I pushed with the nurse a few times. The doctor showed up and we pushed a little more. Her head was sideways and her heart rate went down a little so they wanted to use the vacuum to try and help get her out more quickly.Well only a few more good pushes and Brooklyn was born at 12:51 pm. So from the time I got the pitocin to the time she came it was less than 7 hours total! I only had to push for like 12 minutes or so. I was so surprised at how quickly I progressed. This labor was 10 times easier than Isaiah's and I didn't even really feel that tired after she was born! It was crazy! I really couldn't have asked for better nurses and doctors or a better delivery. It was so great! And I don't mean to sound like I am bragging to all of you who read this and haven't had easy deliveries, I am sorry. I know how they are though, because Zaya's was horrible when compared to this!

After Brooklyn was born we did have a little trouble with her blood sugars being too low. They almost had to put her in the NICU on Saturday night because they were one point above the cut off line from being too low. They just kept dropping and dropping. Anyway we started supplementing her with formula and then they went back up, so she barely escaped having to go the NICU and having an IV. Other than that there were no problems. I think her apgar score was a 9 and she had lots of that cheesy vernex stuff all over her when she was born. I think that is about it. I am just so grateful for all of the prayers that were said on our behalf and feel so blessed and grateful to have such a sweet little girl who is happy and healthy. Isaiah wasn't quite sure what to think about his new baby sister when he came to visit her at the hospital. He didn't want to have much to do with her, but he was happy to see mom and dad. He is now very curious around her and starting to warm up, but he keeps wanting me to hold him. It is hard though, because my back is still in a lot of pain. Other than that though we feel great so far and are so happy about this new little addition to our family.

Brooklyn Ruby Davis just minutes after birth,

Proud mama!

Proud Daddy!

In her cute little outfit ready to come home from the hospital.

My cute little Brooklyn

Still haven't gotten any pics of Zaya with her. We will work on that one, but I want him to be able to warm up to her at his own pace and not force him. :)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm so happy for you! Your little girl is beautiful, and it sounds like it was easy for you too...well, as easy as labor can go, right? Congratulations on your cute little family!

Jamie said...

Welcome little Brooklyn! WE can't wait to meet her:) So glad everything went well! See you soon!