Sunday, October 16, 2011

Brooky's Brace

So I have been meaning to post more about Brooklyn's brace for a while now...anyway she got her brace put on on the 1st of September. So she has been wearing it for approximately a month and a half now. At first she really hated it and so did I! She screamed and screamed the first day and then ever since then it hasn't bothered her much. Now it doesn't seem to bother her at all. After she had been in the brace for two weeks we took her to the orthopeds and her doctor said that her hip was no longer dislocating like it had been. At that point he said we will just keep her in her brace and hope that everything starts to heal correctly. So she has to wear the brace at all times except for bathing and changing. We take her in again around the first of November and they are hoping that by then her bones will be developed enough that they can get a good x-ray to give them a better idea of what it going on. So until then we are just hoping and praying that this brace is working and that we won't have to go to a more "difficult" brace. If this brace doesn't work I think the next one will be one that doesn't come off...but not 100% sure on that. Their guesstimate is that she will be going through this process anywhere from 4 months to a year. I am hoping it is closer to the 4 months and if so that would mean we are almost halfway done!

So far I think the brace has been a little more difficult for me than it has for Brooklyn, which I guess is a good thing. I just wish she didn't have to wear it and it is just so much more fun to hold her and cuddle her without the hard scratchy thing on. I am starting to get used to it now and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to but I still wish I could just hold and cuddle her without it. I just have to keep reminding myself of all the positive things that the brace is accomplishing and remember that it would be worse in the long run if she didn't wear it now. I am just glad that she won't remember having to wear it and that her only memory of it will be from pictures. :) I still get frustrated when I look in her drawer and see all the cute little dresses and little rompers and things that would be so much cuter if she didn't have to always wear some sort of pants/leggings under or over them. Anyway I really don't get frustrated about it too much unless I stop and think about it like I am right now. :) I just hope that we don't have to end up going to the more severe braces or casts.

 It basically is made of plastic with straps and Velcro. Then it has a metal bar that goes across the front and the back. The top strap goes around her belly and the other straps wrap around her legs. Kind of hard to describe but it shows a little better with her wearing it I guess.

No comments: