Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 1: Post Recovery

I feel truly blessed. I feel like I have had so much support and help and that has made all the difference. But not only that, but I cannot tell you how blessed I am to have such a wonderful happy baby! She truly is a one of a kind GEM! I think there is good reason we named her middle name Ruby after her great grandma because she really is my Gem. I couldn't ask for a better disposition for a child especially while going through all of this. One of the main reasons I was so concerned about her getting in the spica cast was because I thought for sure we would have a horrible first week (or longer) with a cranky baby that couldn't get comfortable. But not so. She has been pretty much all smiles. She is totally back to her normal self today. She has been laughing and playing and going about her normal silliness just like before. She is even still trying to do her favorite move. She used to sit back on the couch and rock back and forth and slam her head into the couch. Well now she lifts her head off the beanbag and then slams it back and does it in a reclined position. She lights up my life and I feel like the fact that she has been so resilient and bounced back so quickly is not only a huge blessing but I just love her even more and think she is so amazing. Her sweet disposition just makes me want to be a happier better person and I think it is because of her that I will be able to get through this. Somehow whenever I feel down she always seems to put a smile on my face.

She slept really well last night, although she did wake up 6:45 this morning and she usually sleeps until 8:30 or 9:00. She didn't even wake up when Isaiah woke up twice in the night when his cold was bothering him.

So far I haven't noticed any spots where the cast seems to be irritating or rubbing on her skin. The diapering is going pretty well, and she even fits in the wagon my friend let me borrow to see if she would fit. So now we just need to see if she actually likes going out in it and then we may get one if it works. Isaiah is really excited to go on a walk tomorrow especially after being stuck at home all day. Also her rasping from the tube they put down her throat is all gone, so she doesn't sound funny any more either.

Just want to say thanks again to everyone who has been praying for us and thinking of us. It truly has made a world of difference. There is no way I would be coping this well otherwise. Let's hope that the rest of these months will go by as smoothly as today. 

Here's proof that she really is still my happy baby. :)

My big marshmallow just laying on the couch

Loving her big pink bean bag that we got at Target

I love how they didn't cast her belly so I can still feel her soft skin and blow on it and tickle her! :) You can kind of see through the onsie where the cast doesn't cover her belly.

I can barely snap this size 24 month onsie over her fat cast. Especially the left leg because the cast it a little thicker on that side.

Wanted to get a picture of her feet in the cast now to see how much her legs grow out the bottom by the time she has her next cast change.

My sweet babe! There aren't words to describe how much I love her!

Oh yes and I weighed this heavy girl this morning. She weighed in at 27 lbs. She feels way heavier than that to me though. I think it is because the weight distribution makes it feel so much heavier. It also doesn't help that she is so awkward to hold. Love this girl despite how heavy she is! :)

Here's to a good tomorrow! 



5 comments:

Ben & Carli said...

Poor angel girl. She is adorable, I love her sweet little smile. I am glad it is going good so far.

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

How sweet is she! Oh, she really is a gem, Rach. Hope things continue to go well for you guys. Have fun on your walk!

Brian and Karen Davis said...

What a precious girl! Can't wait to see her again...and all fixed!

Jamie said...

What a beauty!! We love this little girl! She is the happiest, most resilient baby ever:) I can't wait to see what Heavenly Father has in store for her b/c she certainly is precious and amazing!! Love you guys!!

Peruch Family said...

You are such a great mom Rachel. Brooklyn is blessed to have you and Casey as her parents. I have been praying for her and I hope that she gets healed up soon. She seems like she is coping really well.