Monday, November 5, 2012

The San Diego Zoo

I am a little behind in updating this blog. About a month ago we had the special treat of having my sister-in-law and her kids come up with her friend and kids to visit us here in San Diego. We had a blast and I think we played harder in one day while they were here than we have the whole summer! I'm glad they decided to spent their fall break with us! First off we decided to hit the San Diego Zoo. We got there about 11:00 and stayed until  about 3:30. We had a great time and I can't believe the kids lasted so long and were all so good! Seriously with just us 3 moms and 9 kids I can't believe what a success it turned out to be! Then after the zoo we decided to head to the beach. Why not squeeze a little more fun into one day right? So we did and the kids loved that too. I'm pretty sure Isaiah wants Aunt Jamie to come visit more so we actually do something fun! Zaya was pretty mad after we left the beach because he never got to put his toes in the ocean. (We also never got any pictures on our camera of us at the beach this time. Oh well.) The whole way back to the parking garage he kept telling me, "but mom I never got to put my toes in the ocean." I tried sympathizing with him and trying to explaining to him if he wanted to put his toes in the ocean so bad then he should have done it while we were there and had the chance. It really was his own fault because he chose to play on the playground the whole time instead. I tried taking him down to the water, but then he ran off to play somewhere else again. So needless to say, after trying every distraction and reasoning I could think of to get his mind off of not getting to put his toes in the ocean, I was running out of ideas. Even the train that crossed the tracks right in front of him wasn't enough to get his mind off of it! As we approached the parking garage I saw some bird of paradise flowers growing there and asked Isaiah what kind of flowers they were. Which he then turned to me and said, "mom I don't want to smell the flowers." I  told him he didn't have to. Again I asked him if he knew what the flowers were called. By this point he was so tired from a long day of play and everything that he had had enough. He stops walking, turns to me and says, "mom I just don't want to talk to you right now!" I said okay that is fine, but I was shocked. He has never said anything like this to me before. I guess he is already starting to figure out how to try and express his feelings to me and I am not excited for when he gets to be a teenager if he is already telling me he doesn't want to talk to me anymore when he is only 3 1/2! Oh that boy! But other than this little break down we had a really fun day!

And the other awesome thing about going to the zoo was that we all got in for free! Because it is free kids in October, I still had my membership pass, and I had two free guest passes that we had never used. So everyone got in free! That is what I call getting the use out of our expensive season pass! So it wasn't really free, but it was this time. :)

At the entrance to the zoo

This is most of us at the entrance.

Zaya checking out what I think was a sun bear?


Brooky loved watching this bear! Her little arms and feet were wiggling all over in excitement! 

Brooky also loved the leopard and was most enthralled watching it pace back and forth!

My favorite is the panther, even though he was asleep this time. He is so powerful and beautiful looking, even when he is asleep. Although he does look much more like a kitty when he is sleeping.

Zaya loved the pandas


Seeing the zebras after the long uphill climb. :)

Zaya loved exploring this big prehistoric tiger thing.


Brooky fell asleep and took a good nap. Thankfully. 

The little leopard cubs eating their blood Popsicle. Gross.

If I remember right they are like 6 months old now?


Had to get a pic of the capabara. :)


Zaya also likes the elephants.


These next few were some pictures we took at the bird show when Casey, went with us to the San deigo Safari park. We decided to squeeze in one more visit before our zoo passes expired. So glad we finally got some good use out of them! :) The bird show was really fun and I am glad we got to see that.

I don't remember what this bird is called but it has strong legs and stomps its prey to death. It's legs are even immune from venemous snake bites!

We also loved the talking parrot at the bird show and how the birds would fly right over our heads. It was really fun!

Baby gorilla! So cute!

Momma gorilla! 

Thanks again Jamie and Callie for being brave enough to drive all this way to see us without your husbands help! We definitely had a blast!



2 comments:

Trent and Mel said...

If Zaya only has said that he doesn't want to talk to you...count your blessings.Both of my kids use the experssion "I don't love you anymore mom" and Nick is only 2...they sure pick up things fast when they have older siblings! Looks like a fun day at the zoo though!

Jamie said...

Oh Rach!! You are such a fun mommy!! So glad we could spend this fun time with you:) We love you guys and miss you so much! Hopefully next time we'll be there a little longer so we don't have to cram everything in to one day:)