Saturday, November 19, 2011

Isaiah and his BIG words!

Isaiah has always loved playing the game, "Isaiah can you say......." Then we think of a big/hard word for him to say. No matter how big the word he would always attempt to say it and his dad and Grandpa Davis love playing this game with him the most. Well now the missionaries (who we have been having over a lot lately or running into them at our apartment complex) love playing this game too. They always ask him to say Onomatopoeia which he says pretty much perfectly every time! Once people see his skills at saying big words they always ask him if he can say Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (not sure how it is spelled). He hasn't been able to say this one and was always a little overwhelmed by it. :) Well I have now taught him how to say it and he can say the whole word! It is really funny. I am definitely going to have to get it on video. So as I am feeling all proud of my son and his "big word skills" I am also finding that it is not such a good thing. On Thursday night we were doing a little bit of grocery shopping and while we were loading the groceries into the car there were some people near by cussing up a storm. Well Isaiah heard them and decided to copy. He spouted off a whole string of expletives. I about died! I quickly told Isaiah that we don't say those words and they are naughty. I wanted to yell at the people next to us in the parking lot "Hello don't you realize there are little ears listening!" I guess people like that aren't too concerned about who hears them. Anyway I am quickly finding that there are many things out there that I am already having to teach Isaiah that are not good. For example as we go through the grocery store he sees a can of beer and thinks it is soda.(This has happened many times). So I have to explain to him that it is yucky, it is not good for us, and that we don't drink beer. Then he will see people smoking in our complex and stare at them and point and say, "what's he doing mom." Sometimes he thinks they are eating suckers. I always get so embarrassed and have to tell him that smoking is yucky and not good for us. And that it stinks and will make us sick! I'm sure it doesn't make the smokers like us very much, but I could care less...I'm sure they already know all of the things I am telling him. I knew that the day would come that I would have to teach him about all of this stuff, but I was really hoping it would be when he was a little older. He is only 2 1/2 years old! I guess we can't protect them forever, but I sure wish I could.

2 comments:

Tom and Jen Loveland Family said...

Yikes! Good thing he has a good mama to teach him. Imagine if he didn't. I know when I think like that I don't seem to judge as harshly. He is so cute! Can't wait to hear him say the big long words! And so happy to hear Brooklyn is doing well with everything. Your kids are stinkin' cute, Rach. No denying that!

Brian and Karen Davis said...

Hope your Thanksgiving was as good as ours. We just found time to catch up on your blog and it is so nice to see our precious grandchildren being SO DARN CUTE! Thank you for keeping up your blog!